How did Community get started?
Founding Pastor Arlie Whitlow moved to Sterling, Virginia in August 1982 to begin the Community Church. The first service was held on September 14, 1982 with 35 people in attendance. There was neither a church building or any assets. There was only a dream that God would raise up a wonderful place where people could know Him and raise their families in a Godly environment.
I absolutely do not believe in God. Am I still welcome?
Yes, you absolutely are welcome. We do hope that you’ll be open to exploring your questions about God and wrestling with what you find.
When do you meet?
Sunday Morning at 9:00am, 10:45am, & 12:30pm
(Children’s Services run during each service)
What do you have available for children?
Just one visit to Community and you will realize that to us children are not a hassle but a priority. Check out the different ministries that specialize in children:
• Noah’s Landing (Nursery): Birth - 3 year-olds
• Under the C: 4 & 5 year-olds
• Reign Forest: Kindergarten & 1st Grade
• KGB (Kids Going Bananas): 2nd - 5th Grade
• Fire Escape Middle School: 6th - 8th Grade
• Fire Escape High School: High School
What do you believe?
• God is bigger and better and closer than we can imagine.
• The Bible is God’s perfect guidebook for living.
• Jesus is God showing Himself to us.
• Through His Holy Spirit, God lives in and through us now.
• Nothing in creation “just happened.” God made it all.
• Grace is the only way to have a relationship with God.
• Faith is the only way to grow in our relationship with God.
• God has allowed evil to provide us with a choice. God can bring good even out of evil events and God promises victory over evil to those who choose Him.
• Heaven and hell are real places. Death is a beginning, not the end.
• The church is the visible family of God.
• Jesus is coming again.
What denomination are you?
Community is a non-denominational church, which simply means that our beliefs are shared by many different denominations and we welcome everyone. Plus, we were looking for a category with a lot of syllables, and we think we picked a pretty good one with seven.